I am a seasoned publishing professional with ten years of experience in writing, editing, researching, proofreading, copywriting, and managing book releases from beginning to end. I have edited a dozen books for Fantagraphics, and helped edit more than fifty issues of The Comics Journal magazine. I have written for popular sites such as comiXology and tcj.com, and for books such as Pretty in Ink. One of the most recent books I have edited, Nijigahara Holograph, was critically acclaimed and was named a New York Times Best Seller Manga. I co-edited a book that is currently nominated for an Eisner Award.
• Best Comics-Related Periodical/Journalism (with Gary Groth and Mike Dean): 2014, 2013, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007
• Best Comics-Related Book (with Marc Sobel): 2014
• Best Biographical, Historical, or Journalistic Presentation (with Gary Groth and Mike Dean): 2010
Fantagraphics Books (2003-present)
• Pirates in the Heartland: The Mythology of S. Clay Wilson by S. Clay Wilson & Patrick Rosenkranz Vol. 1 (2014). Designed by Jacob Covey.
• Nijigahara Holograph by Inio Asano. (2014). Translator: Matt Thorn. Designed by Emory Liu.
• Wandering Son Vols. 5-7 by Shimura Takako. (ongoing, 2013-2014). Translator: Matt Thorn.
• Pretty in Ink: North American Women Cartoonists 1896-2013 by Trina Robbins. (2013). Designed by Emory Liu.
• The Love and Rockets Companion: 30 Years (and Counting) with Marc Sobel (2013). Designed by Tony Ong.
• Sketching Guantanamo: Court Sketches of the Military Tribunals, 2006-2013 by Janet Hamlin (2013). Designed by Jacob Covey.
• Listen, Whitey!: The Sounds of Black Power 1965-1975 by Pat Thomas (2012). Designed by Jacob Covey.
• This Side of Jordan by Monte Schulz (2009). Cover art by Al Columbia.
• Most Outrageous by Bob Levin (2008). Designed by Adam Grano..
• Man of Rock: a Biography of Joe Kubert by Bill Schelly (2008)
Writer / Editor / Editorial Coordinator
The Comics Journal (print & online) (2004–present)
Writer / Contributor
Fantagraphics Books (2013)
Pretty in Ink: North American Women Cartoonists 1896–2013
Writing & Editing: Chicago and AP Style Manuals, OCR, scanning, copywriting, copyediting, proofreading, transcription, social media, branded content, editorial, content management, digitization, indexing, press releases, research
Software: Microsoft Office Suite, InDesign, Photoshop, BookScan
Platforms: Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter, Wordpress
• In Word for InDesign, InDesign
• Manage Fantagraphics Books’ archive of graphic novels, foreign editions, comic books, magazines and minicomics; largest comics repository in the Pacific Northwest
•Manage hard-copy archives of more than forty years’ worth files
• Digitize articles and interviews (from the nearly 300 issues that comprise TCJ magazine archives) for print and web
•Transform catalog information for about 100 titles a year into sales copy and metadata for our distributor
• Coordinated deliverables with authors, production teams, licensors, and designers
• Trained, supervised, and mentored more than 150 interns
Public Speaking: Interviewer
The Wit and Wisdom of Web Cartoonists: Moderator
Jim Rugg Interview
SDCC Hernandez Spotlight Panel
Tom Neely Interview
(More in print: Gene Yang, Melinda Gebbie, Megan Kelso, Tim Hensley, various)
Public Speaking: Interviewee
Misfit Lit: The Future of Fantagraphics
Graphic Artists Guild Graphic Novel Panel
On Winsor McCay
Trade Shows & Sales
Represent the brand and hand-sell books and merchandise at trade shows
Help with booth displays (including setup and teardown) at Comic-Con International: San Diego, Emerald City Comicon, & other trade shows
Bachelor of Arts (with a concentration in Modern Literature). University of California, Santa Cruz, 2003.
“It was extra-nice to see the vastly under-appreciated Kristy Valenti share in two nominations—one for The Comics Journal #302 (with Gary Groth) and one for The Love And Rockets Companion (with Marc Sobel). The comics industry runs on people like Valenti.”
—Tom Spurgeon, The Comics Reporter